Extreme DUI Lawyer in Phoenix
As in most other states, the penalties for driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs have increased substantially over the years. And with additional sobriety checkpoints and law enforcement constantly on the lookout for impaired drivers, your chances of being pulled over and eventually arrested for DUI are greater than ever. Given the potential penalties, it is absolutely essential that you are represented by an experienced Phoenix DUI attorney who understands the charges, can find weaknesses in the case against you, and who can put forth the best defense available under the circumstances.
At The Feldman Law Firm, we represent clients facing a wide variety of criminal charges, including DUI. Attorney Adam Feldman, a former prosecutor, understands how best to analyze and approach a drunk driving case so that the chances of a dismissal, a not guilty verdict or a reduction in the charge are as great as possible. If you have been charged with extreme DUI, call today for a free consultation.
What is Extreme DUI?
Many people do not understand that DUI can cover a number of distinct offenses. While they all have their genesis in driving under the influence, the circumstances surrounding the offense make a huge difference in the severity of the potential penalties if you are convicted. Among those circumstances is the level of alcohol in your system.
The basic offense of driving under the influence includes any of the following:
- Driving under the influence of drugs, alcohol or a combination of the two, if you are impaired to the slightest degree; or
- Having a blood alcohol content (BAC) of 0.08 or more within 2 hours of driving; or
- Having any one or more of certain drugs or metabolites in your system.
Call or email us today for a free consultation.
The offense of driving under the extreme influence of alcohol does not, by its terms, involve impairment or drugs. What the statute says is that if you drive or are in actual control of a vehicle and your BAC is 0.15 or higher, you can be charged with extreme DUI.
As a result, based upon your blood alcohol content alone, you could find yourself facing a charge of driving under the extreme influence of alcohol (A.R.S. 28-1382). In that event, you face enhanced penalties, that is, penalties greater than those for a simple first-time DUI. They include:
- Mandatory Jail Time. The statute says that you must serve at least 30 consecutive days in jail before being eligible for parole or a suspended sentence. You may qualify for home detention after a couple of days in jail.
- License Suspension. Your driving privileges will be suspended
- Fines and Assessments. The total fines and assessments for extreme DUI total at least $2,250, and possibly more.
- Community Restitution. You could be ordered to perform community service as part of your sentence.
- Ignition Interlock Device. You will be required to install (and pay for) an ignition interlock device in your vehicle.
- Alcohol Screening and Counseling. You will be subject to alcohol screening and counseling.
- DUI School. You will be required to attend approved traffic school.
If you have a prior DUI conviction within 84 months of the extreme DUI charge, the penalties are even more severe, and include, among other things:
- Higher Fines;
- Longer license suspension;
- Minimum 120 in jail; and
- At least 30 hours of community restitution.
The consequences of even a first extreme DUI conviction are such that you need an experienced Phoenix DUI lawyer to help you through the process and make sure that any defenses are vigorously pursued.
Finally, while a BAC of 0.15 will lead to enhanced penalties if you are convicted, a BAC of 0.20 or higher (known as “super extreme DUI”) will subject you, for example, to a longer minimum jail term and higher fines.
Phoenix Extreme DUI Attorney
The assistance of an experienced DUI lawyer is required if you are going to obtain the best possible result in your case. In addition to challenging the evidence submitted by the prosecution, it may be possible to reduce some of the penalties, in particular the mandatory jail time under the statute. If you are facing a charge of extreme DUI, call The Feldman Law Firm to find out the strength of the evidence against you, and what defenses may be available. Your initial consultation is free.